Saturday, January 21, 2017

Welcome!

Image result for meadowbrook parkway

Welcome! Let me start by introducing myself. Lakesha is what most people call me. I was born and raised in New York, the city which is known for "The city that never sleeps". Ironically I was born in a car in-route to the hospital, which I like to blame my silliness on. Fast forward, I grew up to love the sport basketball. Basketball became my life, my passion, my first love, a sport that instilled many qualities in me such as teamwork, dependability, and persistence just to name a few. Basketball led me to earning a Division I scholarship where I played collegiate basketball both at the US Naval Academy and Troy University. I always did love mathematics, it just made sense to me. So, after I graduated I continued on to pursue my masters in education. Now we've made it here, just a snippet of who Lakesha is. Everyone has their own journey, this happens to be mine. I close by saying, be kind to everyone, you never know what they may be going through.


Vocabulary:



  • Hospital (noun): An institution where the six or injured are given medical or surgical care
  • Instilled (verb): To gradually cause someone to have
  • Dependability (noun): Able to be trusted to do or provide what is needed; able to be depended on
  • Scholarship (noun): A grant-in-aid to a student  (as by a college or foundation)
  • Collegiate (adjective): Relating to colleges, or intended for students at college
  • Pursue (verb): To try to get or do (something) over a period of time

Vocabulary Exercise:

Fill in the blank with the correct vocabulary word.


1. Same earned a _________________ at the age of seventeen to the University of Alabama.
2. Clarissa's friends describe her as being selfless, ____________, and honest.
3. Ever since Brandon was a little boy, his dream was to play __________ football at LSU
4. At a very early age Rebeca's mother ____________ core qualities such as respect and responsibility in her.
5. When John fell off his and broke his arm, he was rushed to the __________.
6. Erin moved to Hollywood to ___________ her acting career.


Grammer Point:

Adjectives describe nouns. Write two sentences using two nouns from the vocabulary + using an adjective.

2 comments:

  1. Nice first entry introducing yourself! I liked learning about you interest in basketball and math. You included all the essential components.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the point you added at the end, it is such a strong message to send to students to always remember that everyone has their own story and it it important to be nice to everyone. I also like the simple explanation in your grammar point, short and sweet, leaving no room for confusion. I always tend to over explain which leads to a lot of confusion when I could have stopped after my first few thoughts.

    ReplyDelete