Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Mama's Cooking



There is nothing like a good ol' home cooked meal. I love food, I love trying different types of food, but there's nothing that can compare to a Sunday night dinner prepared by my mother. My mom was born and raised in the south, Savannah, GA to be exact. If you've never been there before, just image lots of open land, cows, chickens, goats, and street lights at are miles apart from each other. My mom was a country girl, which meant most dinners consisted of a fried or baked meat, normally chicken or pork chops, a vegetable, which was normally collard greens, pinot beans, or green beans, and additional sides such as corn bread, baked mac and cheese, or mashed potatoes. Just thinking about it all makes me hungry right now. Don't get me wrong, I love eating Italian food, Thai food, Caribbean food, Mexican food, diner food, but there is nothing like a good ol' home cooked meal by my mama.

Vocabulary:
  • Different (adjective): Not of the same kind
  • Compare (noun): To say something is similar to something else
  • Prepared (adjective): Make something ready for use
  • Vegetable (noun): A plant that is eaten as food
  • Additional (adjective): Extra to what is already available
  • Hungry (adjective): Having a strong desire to eat 
Vocabulary Exercise:

Match the word with the correct definition.

Hungry Made ready in advance

Additional Not the same

Compare   Similar with something else

Prepared           A plant

Different Extra

Vegetable W
anting to eat 

Grammar Point:

Conjunctions are words that connect words, phrases, clauses or sentences. And, or, but, so, after, before, unless, either, neither, because, since are all examples of conjunctions.

I was tired so I went to sleep.

Pick any three conjunctions from the list above to create three different sentences.









2 comments:

  1. I agree with you 100%! Many times I try to watch, if not help my mom cook so that I can learn to make such delicious meals. But once we are in the kitchen together it becomes a conflict because she's the only one that can do things the "right way", and she basically gives me the boot. At the end of the day I still get to eat her food :). I like how you added visuals and created a word matching activity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! It sounds like she is a wonderful cook! Now you have to learn how to cook that way to pass it on to future generations. Good vocabulary and grammar point!

    ReplyDelete